Saturday, June 23, 2007

A JUG OF MILK...AND THE CAPACITY FOR RAGE

My destination is the local store for a jug of milk and the radio is talking to me. It is sunny and the trip is mundane, but the words I hear are all about hundreds of thousands of missing emails, a vice-president who is or isn’t part of the executive branch of our government and a political system that seems caught in it’s own cross hairs. And while I feel the beginning of a surge of irritation at the state of our country’s leadership, a single thought continues to intrude.

How often can I follow one more piece of astonishing malfeasance with true and useful anger or action? What is my – or any other citizen’s - capacity for outrage?

When you have heard yet another news story, read yet another daily/weekly/monthly latest need to know e-newsletter, received yet another forwarded email; is it possible to summon the outrage?

When we reach the limit do we explode in anger, dismay, disillusionment? Are we incensed or incapacitated?

Is there only one answer?

I buy milk.

No comments: