Saturday, January 24, 2009

Curiosity

Someone should investigate curiosity as the best prevention for diminishing mental capacity as we age. Really.

Al and I are about to visit Death Valley. The choice of destination might surprise those who know me. I am definitely and definitively a tree person. A hardwood forest surrounded the home of my youth. Majestic cedars and pines drown the small town of my working and retirement years. Walking down a wilderness path next to a burbling stream my very breath comes more deeply and my heart is at peace.

So Death Valley came as a bit of a shock even to me. But like almost every place I have had the pleasure of visiting, the more I read the more eager I am to arrive.

I put it down to the pure, unadulterated and untamed curiosity; my companion since forever. I want to know. I want to see. I want to learn.

So, despite no trees, no brooks, no cool breezes I can't wait.

Bring on the "raceway" stones that move great distances without apparent cause. Bring on the play of light on multi-colored stone. Bring on the sand dunes, borax works, ghost towns, Devil's golf course, Badwater Canyon and Devil's Cornfield.

I believe there is something for me everywhere. And I don't believe curiosity killed the cat; I believe it is why a cat has nine lives.

No comments: